Smoke and Tobacco Free Environment Systemwide Policy

Month/Year Posted: 
August, 2017
Policy Number: 
EO 1108

Per Executive Order 1108, all CSU campuses will be smoke and tobacco free as of September 1, 2017.

Humboldt State University will join other California State University campuses in becoming a smoke- and tobacco-free campus beginning Sept. 1.

The effort comes after the CSU Chancellor’s Office issued an executive order announcing a system-wide policy that all 23 campuses will become smoke and tobacco free. The policy will apply to all students, faculty, staff, volunteers, contractors or vendors, and visitors. It also covers all University buildings, including residence halls, and off-campus buildings like the HSU Aquatic Center in Eureka and the Telonicher Marine Lab in Trinidad.

The policy prohibits the use of cigarettes, cigars, pipes and other smoke emitting products, including e-cigarettes and vapor devices. Further definitions are provided in the executive order, which is available online.

“A cornerstone of the California State University and higher education is the principle of one’s individual freedom to learn, teach, work, think, and take part in their intellectual and career endeavors in a fulfilling, rewarding, safe, and healthy environment,” the Executive Order states.

A Message from the President - Campus Connections: Tobacco Free Campus

Frequently Asked Questions:

What does “smoke free” mean?

Smoke free means the use of cigarettes, pipes, cigars and other smoke emanating products including e-cigarettes, vapor devices and other like products are prohibited on all University properties.

What is included as a tobacco product?

A product containing, made or derived from tobacco or nicotine that is intended for human consumption, whether smoked, heated, chewed, absorbed, dissolved, inhaled, snorted, sniffed or ingested by any other means, including, but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, little cigars, chewing tobacco, pipe tobacco, snuff and any electronic device that delivers nicotine or other vaporized liquids to the person inhaling the device, including, but not limited to, an electronic cigarette, cigar, pipe or hookah.

Can I smoke in my car?
No, if your car is parked on University property, you must comply with EO 1108.

What is considered University property?
The interior and exterior campus areas of any California State University campus. This includes buildings (including residence halls), structures, parking lots, and outdoor areas owned, leased or rented by the University or one of its auxiliaries. Also included are vehicles owned, leased or rented by the University or one of the University’s auxiliaries.

Does that mean that there are no longer any designated smoking areas on campus?
Correct, there are no designated smoking areas on campus. The entire campus is smoke free and tobacco free.

Are there any exceptions to the Executive Order?
The following are exceptions to Executive Order 1108:

  • Smoking in university-sponsored theater and dance productions, student-authored or sponsored scenes, showcases or workshops produced as part of the department of theatre
  • Ceremonial campus events may be authorized by the President or designee only when a required part of a specific performance
  • Institutional Review Board approved research on tobacco or tobacco-related products

To request approval of an exception for theater or ceremonial purposes, complete the Smoking Approval Request and submit it to the Director of Risk Management and Safety Services.

To request approval of an exception for the Institutional Review Board, contact

I want to quit smoking. Where can I get additional information?

  • For current students- Medication to assist in smoking cessation is available at the Student Health Center Pharmacy 826-3146.
  • The University will be providing smoking cessation workshops. For more information, call Health Education at 826-5234
  • For employees who have Blue Shield Access+, you can access their program QuitNet as part of the Wellvolution program at

Humboldt County – Local Listing for Tobacco Cessation and Education Resources

Humboldt County Public Health Tobacco Free Humboldt
(707) 268-2132
908 7th Street
Eureka, CA 95501
Type of Service: Overview of local tobacco control and quit-tobacco programs. Referral
Cost: Free.; Languages Served: English & Spanish

American Cancer Society
443-2241 or 1-800-ACS-2345
611 Harris Street
Eureka, CA 95501
Type of Service: Free Quit Kits for individuals, clinics and other organizations. Referral

Humboldt Open Door Community Clinic
2200 Tydd Street
Eureka, CA 95501
Type of Service: One-on-one counseling and group sessions by appointment.
Locations: Clinics throughout Humboldt County; Languages Served: English & Spanish.

Northern California Indian Development Council
(707) 445-8451 ext. 27 1-800-566-2381
241 'F' Street
Eureka, CA 95501
Type of Service: Second Wind 6-session class; group and one-on-one counseling by appointment.
Cost: Free.

United Indian Health Services
(707) 825-5000 1-800-675-3963
1600 Weot Way
Arcata, CA 95521
Type of Service: Second Wind 6-session class; group and one-on-one counseling; self-help materials.
Open to clients and all members of the community.
Cost: Free/sliding scale.; Locations: throughout Humboldt County