Time, Place and Manner of Free Speech and Expression, Commercial Activity and Use of University Buildings and Grounds Policy

Month/Year Posted: 
October, 2021
Policy Number: 



Policy References:





This regulation is issued by the University President pursuant to California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Sections 42350-42354, and CSU Executive Order 669, and concerns the use of University buildings and grounds for purposes of commercial transactions and commercial solicitation, non-commercial solicitation, the distribution of handbills and circulars, public meetings, performances, rallies, and similar campus events. This regulation applies to all members of the HSU community including, but not limited to, students, student organizations, faculty, faculty organizations, staff, staff organizations, campus-affiliated organizations, and other off-campus groups or persons while on campus grounds, including commercial vendors or solicitors. This regulation controls HSU’s time, place, and manner restrictions on commercial transactions and solicitation, non-commercial transactions and solicitation, freedom of expression activities, amplified sound, and posting or chalking, including the distribution of handbills and circulars. This regulation does not control instructional activities or official university commercial or professional activities.


HSU supports creative, thoughtful, and respectful discourse where conflicting perspectives are vigorously debated and thoroughly discussed. HSU is dedicated to affording all members of the HSU community the protections for free speech, expression, assembly, religion, and press available under the U.S. and California constitutions and all applicable federal and state laws, in accordance with the University’s purpose and function except insofar as limitations on those freedoms are necessary to HSU’s functioning. It is not the proper role of the University to attempt to shield persons from ideas and opinions they find unwelcome, disagreeable, or even deeply offensive. Although HSU greatly values civility, and although all members of the HSU community share in the responsibility for maintaining a climate of mutual respect, concerns about civility and mutual respect are not a justification for closing discussions of ideas, however


offensive or disagreeable those ideas may be. Yet, the University also has the duty to restrict expression that violates the law, falsely defames a specific individual, constitutes a genuine threat or harassment, unjustifiably invades substantial privacy and confidentiality interests, or is otherwise directly incompatible with the University’s functioning. Additionally, HSU may reasonably regulate the time, place and manner of expression on University property and over its communication systems to ensure the expression does not disrupt ordinary University functions and activities.


Although the HSU community is free to criticize and contest views expressed on University property and over its communication systems, and to criticize and contest speakers invited to campus to express their views, they may not obstruct or otherwise interfere with the freedom of others to express their views, even if they reject or even loathe those views. Further, each member of the HSU community shares the responsibility of maintaining conditions conducive to achieving HSU’s mission of teaching, research, and public service. The time, place and manner policy exists to protect and promote the rights of the HSU community, prevent interference with HSU’s operations, functions and activities, and assure compliance with all applicable laws and HSU policies and regulations.  All criteria for assessing events and other necessary approvals shall be applied in a viewpoint neutral manner.


Nothing in this policy shall prohibit any union from communicating with its members regarding union-related activities or engaging in protected or concerted activities otherwise allowed under HEERA, or rights provided by the terms of a controlling collective bargaining agreement.


  1. A.    Use of University Buildings, Facilities and Grounds


The use of campus buildings, facilities, and grounds for any purpose is subject to the following:

  1. All persons on University property are required to abide by University policies and regulations. Violation of University policies or regulations may subject a person to legal penalties. If the person is an HSU student, faculty member or staff member, that person may also be subject to University discipline. Individuals on University property or in attendance at an official University function assume the obligation of conducting themselves in a manner compatible with the University's responsibilities as an educational institution. This includes, but is not limited to, complying with the following prohibitions:


No person on University property or at official University functions may:

  1. Block entrances to or otherwise interfere with the free flow of traffic into and out of campus buildings;
  2. Block any street, roadway, crosswalk, driveway, parking structure or parking lot and its entrance and exit, or otherwise obstruct the free flow of pedestrian or vehicular traffic unless authorized to do so;
  3. Knowingly and willfully interfere with the peaceful conduct of campus activities or any campus facility by intimidating, harassing, or obstructing any University employee, student, or any other person having lawful business with the University;
  4. Delay or linger without lawful purpose for being on University property while, or for the purpose of committing, a crime or violation of this regulation or any other University policies or regulations;
  5. Engage in the production of amplified or non-amplified sound that disrupts or interferes with campus business or activities, except when allowable per this policy in section B. 2.;
  6. Camp or Lodge on University property, except in facilities or locations specifically authorized by the University;
  7. Engage in physically abusive, threatening, or intimidating conduct toward any person;
  8. Exhibit disorderly or lewd conduct;
  9. Urinate, defecate or expel any bodily fluids (e.g. spit, blood, vomit, etc.) in any place on University property other than a designated restroom or other facility designated for the sanitary disposal of human waste;
  10. Participate in a disturbance of the peace or unlawful assembly;
  11. Use, possess, sell, or manufacture narcotics, illegal drugs, tobacco or any products containing tobacco, and marijuana or any products containing marijuana or any of its byproducts, unless allowable by the smoking CSU Executive Order 1108;
  12. Possess, conceal, carry, use, store or manufacture any firearm (including those subject to a concealed carry permit, and replicas), weapon, knife, or other device or instrument capable of causing or inflicting bodily injury or property damage including, but not limited to, any explosive, flammable liquid, and incendiary device, unless expressly and specifically permitted by University policy or regulation;
  13. Fail to comply with the directions of a University official acting in the performance of their duties;
  14. Engage in the theft, destruction or other misuse of University property or equipment;
  15. Possess or ignite any Torch;
  16. Have any Open Fire or Torch anywhere on University property, unless, and only to the extent, specifically authorized and limited by another University policy or regulation (such as the University Policy on Smudging, Housing & Residence Life, or Student Theater Productions);
  17. No climbing or standing on elevated surfaces (e.g. retaining walls, towers, runways, building roofs, etc.) or trees.


No person on University property or at official University functions may:


  1. Use University facilities not generally open to the public including, but not limited to, showers, storage lockers, study lounges or recreational facilities, without authorization of a Designated University Official;
  2. Disturb plants and wildlife in any way, including climbing or placing objects in trees or bushes or attaching items to them.
  3. All persons on University property are required, for reasonable cause, to identify themselves to, and comply with instructions and directives of, Designated University Officials and University Police acting in the performance of their duties.
  4. HSU prohibits all non-University commercial activity on University property unless specifically approved by the University President or designee. This includes the distribution of commercial literature and other such products and services. No non-affiliate of the University may solicit, sell, or rent any goods, wares, merchandise, liquids, or edibles for human consumption or services on University property, operate any commercial enterprise, or give any lessons, classes or instruction on University property, whether for profit or otherwise, unless specifically authorized by the University President or designee. For purposes of this regulation, soliciting and selling includes the leafleting or distribution of advertisements or other promotional devices and products.
  5. Scheduling of campus facilities by non-campus organizations or individuals requires the completion of the "Application for Lease/Rental of University Facilities" form and can take up to 3 weeks for processing. If approved, a Lease will be created including estimated costs for facilities rentals, parking, custodial services, and any other costs applicable to the event, etc. Insurance is required to be provided no less than 7 days prior to the event. Full payment is due within 90 days of invoicing or will be sent to collections. Payment can be made in Cash, check, or credit card (in-person only).
  6. All facilities on campus are managed by their respective administrator or staff. The respective office or respective administrator or staff will inform all clients of applicable requirements, including insurance if needed. Events exclusive of HSU also require approvals from Facilities Management, University Police, Parking and Transportation Services, and Risk Management before scheduling is confirmed. Additional clearances may be required depending on the services requested. These approvals are facilitated in collaboration with the client by the appropriate administrator or staff. The University’s Chief of Police will determine the type of security necessary for events based on the public safety needs of any event being held in or around University property. Each event will be considered on a case-by-case basis to determine appropriate staffing and other security and safety measures. The University will assess security needs, and assess fees for security provided by the University, based on content and viewpoint neutral factors. The University always reserves the right to charge fees for security on a content and viewpoint neutral basis.
  7. A request for use of University property may be denied if the request is not in accordance with University policies and these regulations, and shall be denied if circumstances are such that the use may cause an unreasonable disruption to the orderly operation of the University or create a threat to the safety of persons or property, as determined by the University.
  8. Commercial support of student programs and activities organized or coordinated by recognized student organizations, as defined and governed by Title 5, California Code of Regulations sec. 41400-41505, is not considered a commercial activity under these guidelines and may therefore be permitted, provided the primary purpose of such support is to underwrite a student program or activity, as opposed to the promotion or endorsement of a commercial product. Such activity must go through the Event Approval Process. Recognized student organizations contact the Office of Student Life and Development for assistance.
  9. Voter registration activity is permitted on University property generally open to the public, as defined in this regulation.
  10. Domestic Animals may not enter any campus buildings with the exception of Service and Emotional Support Animals (refer to refer to Animals on Campus Policies P17-09 and Students, Campus Residents and Visitors and P17-08). Domestic Animals must be under control while on any campus grounds, restrained by a leash that does not exceed six (6) feet in length and in the possession of the animal's handler. Any Domestic Animal brought to campus must be licensed and fully inoculated, with the burden of proof on the owner. Fecal matter deposited by any Domestic Animal brought to campus must be removed immediately by the animal's owner or handler. Owners or handlers may not feed their Domestic Animals on campus grounds. Domestic Animals found tethered, unattended or abandoned may be impounded in accordance with all applicable law and regulations. Domestic Animals may be confined in vehicles parked on campus for a reasonable period of time. However, the animal must not be endangered and must not endanger others or create a nuisance. This paragraph does not apply to police service dogs as described in Penal Code section 600.


  1. B.     Free speech, expression, demonstrations, protests, rallies and other public assemblies on university property.


HSU supports and is committed to open, free and robust discussion, debate and exchange of ideas as an indispensable part of its educational mission, especially when the ideas expressed are controversial and unpopular. However, HSU also has the obligation to ensure the safety and security of persons and property, and that University operations, functions and events are not disrupted. The time, place, and manner of persons exercising their rights of free expression, speech, assembly, and religious worship is subject to this regulation, and applies to all members of the University community, including students, faculty, staff, administrators, volunteers, and non-affiliated members of the public, while on University property:

  1. Individuals and groups may assemble on University Grounds open to the public (as specified in this regulation) to engage in non-amplified speech and expression, including the solicitation of signatures on non- commercial petitions, provided such activity does not disrupt the functions, operations and events of the University or interfere with the free speech rights of others, as previously addressed in this regulation, including, but not limited to, or jeopardize the safety of persons and property. The exercise of free speech and assembly rights shall not:
    1. Interfere with class instruction or other scheduled academic, educational, or cultural/arts program or with the use of the University Library;
    2. Obstruct pedestrian or vehicular traffic, or otherwise endanger persons or property;
    3. Be conducted in or on campus parking lots, parking structures, driveways, crosswalks, streets, roadways, and paths of pedestrian travel, inside university buildings and within 20 feet of any location in which instruction, education and/or official business activities are being conducted, unless allowable by B.3. regarding recognized by the university;
    4. Employ sound amplification or create noise that disrupts University activities or interferes with the exercise of free speech by others (please refer to amplification regulation);
    5. Harass, intimidate, or impede the movement of persons;
    6. Create or cause unsafe congestion around stairs and elevators;
  2. In order to minimize interference with academic programs, activities that involve amplified sound. (e.g. music, speech, drumming) may only occur between 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm, Monday – Friday, on the University Center Quad, unless prior University approval is obtained from the Dean of Students Office. The reservation protocol above must be followed in order to use amplified sound. The Dean of Students or designee is charged with making a final determination about whether amplified sound is considered disruptive.
    1. Sound amplification
      1. Amplification for any other location or time requires prior approval through the Dean of Students or their designee. Requests to use amplification should be submitted in writing at least five (5) working days prior to the event. Exceptions may be made for spontaneous events and in other extraordinary circumstances.The sound level for any event may not exceed that which is disruptive to instructional programs, scheduled events, University business operations, and/or Library or classroom study and research. Amplified sound is intended to be heard in the immediate area only. Amplified sound base decibel rates of 75dbA and spikes of 90dbA are permitted, as measured by a sound meter using the “A” weighted network (scale) at slow meter response, ten (10) feet from the amplified sound source. Outdoor amplified sound events are subject to monitoring and regulation. Amplified sound shall not exceed 90 decibels and shall not disrupt University business. It is the responsibility of the sponsoring individual or organization, in collaboration with University personnel, not to exceed the 90-decibel level.
      2. Hand-held amplification (e.g. “bullhorns”) is considered a sound amplification device under this policy, and all amplified sound must conform to the general limitations outlined in this policy. The Dean of Students or their designee has the authority to make the final determination, using reasonable judgment, whether or not an item is considered a sound amplification device for purposes of enforcing this policy.
      3. Recognizing the importance of instructional activities, sound complaints concerning outdoor events should be directed to the University Police business number (707.826-5555). Decibel level is subject to administrative review.
      4. Meetings, rallies, etc. can normally occur from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m, unless given specific permission through the event approval process.
  3. Recognized student organizations, student body organizations, individual students, faculty and staff, and other entities of the University may reserve specified areas of University property and facilities for meetings, programs, and events consistent with this regulation.


Recognized student organizations should refer to the Club and Activities Handbook (https://clubs.humboldt.edu/handbook/organizing_events) for reservation information.


All others who wish to reserve campus facilities for non-instructional use may visit the

 Contracts, Procurement and Accounts Payable website for more information.


  1. No person, while in or on any University property or facility may wear a mask (unless the wearing of a mask is consistent with local, state, or federal public health orders or guidance), personal disguise or otherwise conceal one’s identity to evade or escape discovery, recognition, or identification associated with committing violations of University policy, University regulations, or state, municipal or federal laws.
  2. Any non-affiliate of the University holding or conducting any demonstration, gathering or rally in or upon University property or facility is subject to time, place, and manner restrictions as the University Center, the Office of Student Life, and the Dean of Students Office or their designee may impose to ensure University functions, operations and events are not interrupted or prevented by the demonstration, gathering or rally due to, among other things, scheduling conflicts. Criteria for approval of demonstrations, gatherings and rallies shall be neutral of the content of speech or purpose of the demonstration, gathering or rally.
  3. Signs, posters, placards and banners on University property may not be of a size, shape, or type that will interfere with University functions, operations or events, cause damage to university property, or pose a danger to the safety of persons or property. Signs exceeding 24” by 36” dimensions may be made only of vinyl, foam core, cardboard or paper. No sign of any size or shape shall be made of metal. No person, while participating in any demonstration, rally, picket line, public assembly, or protest, shall carry or possess a signpost, pole, pipe or stake fabricated of metal or composite material, regardless of width or diameter.
  4. Additional prohibited items include, but are not limited to[1]:
    1. Any bag exceeding the size of 18” by 14” by 7”
    2. Any Weapons
    3. Mace, pepper spray, or similar chemical spray
    4. Helmets and face shields
    5. Gas masks
    6. Shields and body armor
    7. Glass, thermal and metal containers
    8. Flammable liquids and gas
    9. Torches and other open flames
    10. Aerosol and other pressurized canisters and sprays
    11. Balloons filled with any substance other than air and any non-flammable and non-hazardous gas
    12. Drones and other unmanned aircraft systems, without authorized approval
    13. Laser pointers
    14. Selfie sticks
    15. Toy and replica guns or blades unless the possession of these items is expressly pursuant to the Theater, Film and Dance Department Prop Weapon Use Policy and prior written authorization of the Chief of Police or their designee is obtained.
    16. Bicycles, skateboards, roller skates and scooters where prohibited (University

 Regulations Codes - 3405 & 3407)


  1. No person or persons shall engage in any assassination or war type game, or any other type of event which involves stalking others, ambushing, lying-in-wait for, or following another person by means of stealth (i.e., laser tag) (UCR 5006)
  2. One table and two chairs are permitted, provided their use complies with the time, place, and manner limitations. However, the erection of temporary or permanent structures, including, but not limited to, booths and canopies, is not permitted, unless with prior approval from the Office of Student Life. If a recognized student organization requires more tables and chairs they should seek guidance from the Office of Student Life. Any employee or non-affiliate activity should contact the University Center.


  1. C.    Distribution of Printed Non-Commercial Material


Non-commercial printed material may be distributed on University property or at official University functions subject to the following provisions:

  1. On University grounds that are generally open to the public (as specified in this regulation), literature may be distributed as follows:
    1. The free flow of pedestrian and vehicular traffic is not obstructed or impeded;
    2. Printed material is not forced upon others
    3. Printed material shall not be placed on or in vehicles parked on University property;
    4. Persons distributing printed material shall be responsible to ensure the printed material does not litter the area of distribution.
    5. Tables and portable (i.e., hand carried) displays used to facilitate distribution may be placed on only paved pedestrian walkways, and may not block walkways or entrances to buildings or otherwise impede the free flow of traffic. Tables or portable displays must be attended at all times by the individuals or groups sponsoring the distribution, and such individuals or groups must ensure the printed material they are distributing does not litter the area.
    6. Printed material may not be distributed in University buildings or parking lots.
    7. Distribution must not interfere with classes and other University functions, operations and events or obstruct the free flow of pedestrian and vehicular traffic, and may not be conducted at the top or bottom of elevators and stairs.


  1. D.    Commercial Transactions, Commercial Solicitation and Solicitation for Donations


All solicitation, commercial solicitation, and private sale are prohibited unless approved in advance by the University (delegated to the Vice President, Enrollment Management) (Title 5 California Code of Regulations, section 42350.6). The University shall determine and restrict time, place, and means of distribution of all commercial solicitations. Commercial solicitors may NOT sell food on campus. All commercial solicitors must complete a "Commercial Solicitor Form," available in the Clubs Office, to request permission to solicit on campus. Refer to the On-Campus Sales and Solicitation policy for more information.


  1. E.     Posting of Signs


Posting on campus bulletin boards is permitted as follows:

  • General bulletin boards: Anyone may post signs on general bulletin boards (indoor or outdoor). These bulletin boards are marked “General.”
  • University bulletin boards: Only official University documents and announcements may be posted to University bulletin boards by authorized University officials or personnel.
  • Department bulletin boards: Department bulletin boards are reserved for the posting of materials relating to and approved by the pertinent Department. Department bulletin boards are marked as such.
  • Union (collective bargaining agreement) bulletin boards: Union bulletin boards are reserved for posting of official union documents and announcements as approved by the pertinent union.


Posting of signs on building walls, restrooms, windows, glass surfaces, doors, benches, utility poles, sculptures, garbage receptacles, railings, trees, traffic control signs, stairs, bus stop areas, and sidewalks is prohibited. Exceptions are allowed in those buildings where it has been customary for faculty and staff to post materials on their own office doors or when work such as plumbing, heating/air conditioning, electrical or computer networking is underway. In such cases the posting method must not damage the door in any manner. The University reserves the sole right to post signage for emergency and safety purposes on otherwise prohibited surfaces and locations.


The following rules apply to all postings on general bulletin boards. Postings on all other bulletin boards may be subject to requirements as set forth by the pertinent authority (i.e. department or union).


  1. Posters may not exceed 11”x17” in size.
  2. Duplicate copies of a posting on a single bulletin board is not permitted.
  3. Postings may not be placed in a way that might deface or damage university property (i.e. posted using staples, taped onto painted surfaces, painted, etc.) Only thumbtacks may be used to secure posters on bulletin boards.
  4. All postings (except for student housing) must be reviewed by the appropriate office or administrator for compliance with these rules and policy prior to posting. Postings that comply with these rules and this policy will be stamped and dated. On-campus events: 50 copies. Off-campus events/all other: 20 copies.
    1. Posting in student housing areas requires that flyers are reviewed and approved by the Director of Residence Life, no less than 2 weeks prior to the event. If approved, they can bring a specific number of copies to the Housing Front desk, and Residence Life staff will distribute through the buildings.
    2. Publicity may be posted for a maximum of 14 calendar days.
    3. Posters advertising or promoting events occurring on a set date must be removed within one week after the event has occurred.
    4. Postings that contain defamation, obscenity, terrorist threats, false advertising, or the promotion of actual or imminent violence or harm, speech not protected by the United States Constitution and/or the California constitution, or speech that otherwise violates the restrictions in this policy, are not permitted.
    5. Any poster that does not comply with these rules or that otherwise violates this policy is subject to removal at any time.


Removal of signs, other than by posting party or University personnel acting pursuant to their duties, is prohibited.


The University residence halls are not available for posting of materials or solicitation of goods and are not accessible to the public, please refer to the “Publicity” policy in the Residence Life & You Handbook. Violations of the Bulletin Board Policy shall be reported to the Clubs and Activities Coordinator. Organizations in violation shall be informed and their publicity materials will be removed from the campus bulletin boards. Any additional violations shall be sent to the for further action. Publicity privileges’ may be suspended or revoked by the University at any time for violations.


  1. F.     Banners


Banners are a special category of postings because of their size and will only be permitted in designated locations. Banners must be larger than 2’ x 3’ but may not exceed 3’ x 5.5’ to advertise on the UC building.


Due to the limited space available, banners may only be used to publicize special events that are open to and held primarily for the campus community. Banners may NOT be used to endorse political parties, candidates, or initiatives, including items pertaining to Associated Students elections.


A reservation is required for posting banners in the designated locations. Banner reservations may be made at the UC information Desk (707-826-4414). Banner space may be reserved up to one (1) academic semester in advance of the event. There are a limited number of banner spaces allocated for use by Clubs and Organizations. Each club is restricted to ten business days of banner space per semester. In the event that all club spaces are reserved, club representatives may check in daily with the UC information desk to see if a banner space becomes available. The UC information desk will not hold onto banners, unless the space has been reserved.


For safety reasons and to minimize the risk of damage to University property, banners will be posted only by authorized University personnel. Banners should be submitted to the University Center Information Desk no later than 4:00 p.m. the weekday prior to the requested day of posting. In the event of inclement weather (wind, rain, etc.) banners will not be posted. Days that banners are not able to be posted still count as part of the ten-day limit for Student Clubs and Organizations.


  1. G.    Chalking


Chalking is permitted on flat, concrete surfaces. Chalking is not permitted on buildings, doors, steps, windows, vertical surfaces (such as retaining walls or planters), painted surfaces, posts, lawn areas, railings, trees, traffic control signs, utility poles, construction fences, vehicles, garden areas, flowerbeds, newspaper racks, trash or recycle bins, streets or stairs, or within 20 feet of stairs or entryways. Only washable sidewalk chalk may be used. Housing & Residence Life has a separate process for chalking approval and is limited to events/activities sponsored by Housing & Residence Life Organizations.


Chalking must be approved in advance by the Office of Student Life (707.826.3776) and Facilities Management (707.823.3646). The University reserves the right to designate “no chalking days” during which days chalking will not be permitted on campus. Failure to comply with these chalking rules or with the other requirements of this policy in association with a chalking activity may result in denial of future requests for chalking approval.


Within 72 hours after completion of the advertised event, the posting entity or person is responsible for cleaning up the chalk with a scrub brush and water. The Office of Student Life has a bucket and scrub brush that can be used to remove chalking.


  1. H.    Staking


Staking is defined as a stick, pole or post pointed at one end for driving into the ground as a boundary mark, typically for flier or message promotion. Staking must be approved in advance by the Office of Student Life and Facilities Management. For spaces within Housing & Residence Life, staking must be approved in advance by the Director of Residence Life. All signs must identify the responsible club/organization. Failure to comply with the staking rules provided once staking has been approved, including required size, or with the other requirements of this policy in connection with a staking activity may result in denial of future requests for staking approval.


Within 72 hours after completion of the advertised event, the posting entity or person is responsible for removing the posters and all stakes.


  1. I.       Tabling on the UC Quad


Tabling is available to various members of the on and off-campus community. Recognized clubs and organizations must fill out the appropriate tabling form at the Office of Student Life. Clubs and student organizations may not use state resources to endorse individual political candidates. If clubs or student organizations would like to table in other spaces on campus, they must obtain appropriate approval from the designated building coordinator. The club or student organization can work with the Office of Student Life to identify who the designated building coordinator is for the space they would like to table.


Tabling rules:

  1. Can only occur Monday through Friday 9AM – 5PM;
  2. Cannot block walk-ways;
  3. Cannot hock or pawn;
  4. Cannot or interfere or impede on campus groups/departments reserved activities/events, with determination coming from the Office of Student Life or Dean of Students designee;


Non-profit off-campus organizations or individuals are allowed to table on the UC quad as long as they are not selling anything or promoting a business. These groups must follow the general tabling rules as stated above.


For-profit off-campus organizations or individuals will only be permitted to table 5 business days per semester. These groups or individuals will be charged a $100 fee per day to table on the UC Quad. For the complete Quad Policy (https://policy.humboldt.edu/sa0001-university-quad-events-policy)


All clubs, student organizations or on-campus entities or individuals should check with the University Center information desk to reserve the UC Quad for their tabling event and before setting up tables in the lower quad to see if it has been reserved. All off campus entities are limited to tabling in the upper quad, and must complete the appropriate tabling forms with the Office of Student life.


  1. J.      Use of University Facilities for Fundraising Events

Recognized student, faculty, staff, or affiliate organizations may be granted use of the University facilities for functions at which admission is charged or donations solicited, when facilities are available and providing the event sponsors observe University policies and regulations.


The Event Approval Process, Facility Use Agreement form, or Department confirmation process, depending on the status of the event sponsor, must be completed and filed prior to the event.


  1. K.    Filming on Campus


Student film productions shall not interfere with normal campus operations. For any commercial filming, please refer to the Commercial Visual and Sound Productions



Definitions. As used in this Regulation I, the following definitions apply:


“Camp or Lodge”: UCR - 5100. Sleeping or Camping on University Campus. No person shall camp on any property owned, operated, or controlled by the University or use any University facility or parking lot as a living space except in the Residence Halls per their established guidelines; or with the permission of the President or his designee for the facility being used.


“Commercial solicitation” means any direct and personal communication in the course of a trade or business reasonably intended to result in a sale. (Title 5, California Code of Regulations,section 42350)


“Commercial transaction” means selling or purchasing or both selling and purchasing by any person in the course of employment in, or in the carrying on of, a trade or business.


“Designated University Official” means the HSU official delegated authority by the President over the relevant operation or facility.


“Employee” means any person listed in the HSU payroll system and employed by any academic or nonacademic department or division or other official HSU entity including campus auxiliaries (e.g. Associated Students, Sponsored Programs Foundation, etc) or an approved and verified volunteer.


“Employee Organization” means an independent organization organized and existing for the purpose, in whole or in part, of dealing with University management concerning grievances, labor disputes, wages, hours and other terms and conditions of employment of employees, as defined by Section 3562(f) of the Higher Education Employer-Employee Relations Act (HEERA).


“Instructionally activities” refers to essential educational experiences and activities that aid and supplement the fundamental educational mission of the instruction. Please refer to Article 20 of the CFA Handbook for a full definition of instructional related activities.


“Grounds open to the Public” means:


  • Between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m., paved pedestrian walkways and lawns on University property are generally open to the public, except those:

○     Within areas reserved for classes, public performances, Official University Functions, or HSU sponsored events;

○     On vehicular driveways, streets and parking lots.

  • Paved pedestrian walkways within designated food service or eating areas are generally open to the public for the purpose of food service or eating only;
  • Between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., paved pedestrian walkways and lawns on University property are generally closed to the public except for coming and going to a University building, Official University Function, or crossing the campus;
  • No non-affiliate of the University shall enter or otherwise remain on the campus or other University property between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. This curfew shall not apply to University housing residents or their authorized guests, or people possessing valid written authorization, or to those on legitimate University-related business or attending a specific University-sponsored event or other Official University Function. Those persons possessing a valid written authorization or attending a specific event shall be allowed to remain and use the facilities as specified in their authorization or through the duration of the specific event, after which time they shall leave the property forthwith and without delay. This time restriction shall not apply to people proceeding directly across a roadway or path that has been designated as open to the public during curfew hours;
  • If a non-affiliate enters the HSU campus or one of its facilities, and it reasonably appears to the Designated University Official to maintain order on the campus or facility, that the person is committing any act likely to interfere with the peaceful conduct of campus activities or facility, or has entered the campus or facility for the purpose of committing any such act, the Designated University Official may direct the person to leave the campus or facility;
  • Any person on the campus or other University property may be required to present identification to verify their affiliation with the campus if it reasonably appears to the Designated University Official that the person is committing any act likely to interfere with the peaceful conduct of campus activities or facility, or has entered the campus or facility for the purpose of committing any such act.


“Hock or pawn” means to pledge, borrow or stake a service or good.


“Non-Affiliate” or “Off-Campus Entity” means any person who is not a student, officer, official volunteer, employee, or emeritus faculty or staff of HSU, nor a member of a household authorized to reside in University Property.


“Official University Functions” means scheduled academic classes, research and activities; normal daily operations of HSU units; and programs or activities sponsored by HSU units in the course of fulfilling HSU’s educational function and mission.


“Open Fire” means any fire, controlled or uncontrolled, including a campfire.


“Sale,” “selling,” or “purchasing” means an activity creating an obligation to transfer property or services for a valuable consideration. “Solicitation” means to request or endeavor to persuade or obtain by asking.


“Student” means an individual for whom the HSU maintains student records and whom as used in Regulation I is:

  • Enrolled in or registered with an academic program at HSU ;
  • Has completed the immediately preceding term and is eligible for re-enrollment, including the intersession periods between academic terms;
  • Is on an approved educational leave or other approved leave status;
  • The term “student” includes individuals registered with a program of HSU’s Extended Education program.


“Torch” means any object consisting of combustible or flammable material that is ignited and produces a flame.


“University” means the California State University and the Humboldt State University (HSU) campus and all property under its control.


”University President” means those persons referred to as “Campus President” in California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 42355, and includes their designees.


“University Property” means any University owned, operated, leased, or operated by the University and its affiliated auxiliary organizations. This includes all of the buildings and grounds of the HSU campus and any building and ground otherwise within HSU’s direction and control, including property owned and operated by campus auxiliaries. This policy does not include off campus leased space or facilities.


“Volunteer” means any person who is formally registered with HSU Human Resource Management or any campus auxiliary organization (e.g. Associated Students, University Center, sponsored programs foundation, etc.) and authorized to provide volunteer services on behalf of HSU in campus facilities.


“Weapon” includes, but is not limited to, any firearm (including with a concealed carry permit), any knife with a metal blade of any length, any ice pick or similar sharp object that may be used as a stabbing implement capable of inflicting serious bodily harm, any razor with an unguarded blade, any cutting, stabbing or bludgeoning weapon or device capable of inflicting serious bodily harm, any dirk or dagger, any “Taser,” stun gun, or other similar electronic device; any torch – whether or not lit, and any instrument or device capable of expelling a metallic projectile, such as a BB or a pellet, through the force of air pressure, CO2 pressure, or spring action, or any spot marker gun.

[1] As appropriate, these restrictions do not apply to members of law enforcement or if given prior approval by the appropriate office